Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Green company encourages biking to work (if only!)


As a former mountain bike enthusiast who tried to ride to work, I read with amusement the chronicles of a journalist who tried to do the same in KL.

I think it’s a great idea if:
  • We can reduce the heat outdoors to a spring-time low of 22 Celsius
  • Build side lanes for bicycles
  • Have companies that seriously encourage staff to come to work on a bicycle

Wouldn’t it be great to have a company that was serious in encouraging all its employees to come to work riding a bicycle? How can a company do this? Here are my ideas:
  • Give bicycles or cash aid to buy bicycles
  • Build shower stalls in the office building (I get all hot and sweaty by the time I arrive) and changing rooms (don’t expect me to wear long sleeves and formal pants while riding – you must be joking or crazy)
  • Have a parking bay for the bikes
  • Provide free bicycle care/workshop
  • Have outings/activities for staff where bicycles are needed.

The benefit: healthy staff, less pollution and boasting rights as a green company.

Any company want to do this?

2 comments:

Deanne Shavira said...

these days, everyone loves the "aircond"...if the boss of a company decides to do this, many staffs will sure mogok...coz they fail to see what lies ahead in a long run

Unknown said...

we rather have things NOW (certain) compared to a better future (uncertain).. or so I have read..
PLUS the way drivers drive in Kuching.. I might just die.. being hit by a car or a motorbike!!!
PLUS I love my aircond... ha ha ha

wonder if I CAN cycle from house to work without getting a heart attack...