Friday, July 6, 2007

Lost time and mutant teachers

I just can't believe it! I've been so busy, consumed every second by the never-ending deluge of 'teacher's work' until I've literally have no time left to pursue any of the interesting things I enjoy doing with my life - writing, reading and conversing with life-enhancing and encouraging people. I can't believe that it has been so long since I even had a few minutes to spare to jot some words down in this blog! What a waste of my life. Where has the opportunity to pursue happiness and to do what I love gone to?
2nd term exams loom like dark clouds, promising only a tempest of torrential marking of exam papers and the endless drudgery of collecting, calculating and recording students exam marks on their white cardboard report cards, only to be received with dismay and contested by ungrateful or at the least, indifferent students. Indeed the saying is true - "I love teaching but I hate being a teacher". You would have thought a teacher is one who teaches but teaching has mutated into a series of duties far distant to this 'ideal duty'. Instead a teacher is a multi-tasker, a servant to school and student, a rat on a rolling cage that leads to a thankless grave. Go figure!

No comments: