Friday, October 24, 2008

Of homework and teachers

Two interesting ideas/comments that came out of a teachers meeting some time ago; I thought I'll post it up here for you to read, ponder as well as comment and for me to return to one day to write about it or to make a study and then act on it. Here it goes:

1. Purpose of homework:
  • preparation for what's coming
  • practice for what's been taught
  • provocation for creative ideas/solutions

2. Teachers look after the

  • lost
  • least
  • last

(so forget about wanting good students to teach . . .)

2 comments:

James C. H. Loi said...

I have to say, I truly agree about the teaching the lost, least and last. While I always wish that all my students are top students, the truth remains, top students don't need us. So, yeah, Amen to that statement, as Jesus said, it is the sick who needs a doctor. It is the lost, least and last that need teachers.

Dave said...

Hi Peter, thanks for linking us up to your blog :)

Glad to know teachers are interested in both the right and left side of the brain hehe