Friday, February 29, 2008

Books to be read (Part 1)

Inspired by a book I read that encouraged me to visualize what I want and the request for a book list (see previous posting) I find myself looking up book lists (Top Ten, What I've Read, Best Reads, Best Sellers . . . you get the idea) to discover and 'claim' books I would like to own and read. First to be 'visualized' is Elizabeth Gilbert's 'intensely articulate, sensible, moving and funny memoir of self-discovery about what can happen when you claim responsibility for your own contentment'. Her book? Eat, Pray, Love.
The next book on my want-to-read list is Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace... One School at a Time by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin. I think the following review reveals why this book would catch my interest: "Laced with drama, danger, romance, and good deeds, Mortenson's story serves as a reminder of the power of a good idea and the strength inherent in one person's passionate determination to persevere against enormous obstacles." Along the same line is this book I must get my hands on: Leaving Microsoft to Change the World: An Entrepreneur's Odyssey to Educate the World's Children by John Wood.
In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan would be a book I would like to read because it challenges me to eat what I don't like - greens! The book looks impressive.

No comments: